19 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Slide Lake

To contact us Click HERE


Colorado Hut-to-Hut Adventure – Day 5 – 9/12/12 – Slide Lake- 3 miles
Woke up with that headache at about 4:00 a.m.  How long does acclimatization take?  So far at least five days.
Our order of waking up goes like this:  Mike first, Cathy second, me third and Jefflast (or maybe Jeff hears us all and decides to wait a little longer?)  By 6:45 a.m. we were looking out the frontwindows at the off/on drizzle from a gun metal gray sky, low 40’s and saturated.  We were staying put today, but our D.C. hutmates were contemplating whether to hike on to their next destination at UncleBud’s Hut (where we’re going tomorrow). They ultimately decided to go for it. It didn’t look like fun, but they were experienced backpackers.  There was a warm hut at either end of theirroute if they got in trouble, plus they had two cars stationed along the way,so several bail-out options.
We Berg Wanderers chose to watch and wait for a change inthe weather.  Mike split some kindlingand we stocked the indoor wood boxes.  Igot a nice fire going in the wood stove, making those wonderful crackling andpopping sounds associated with coziness. Cathy and Jeff became lost in the construction of a 1,000-piecepuzzle.  (I tried, but every time Ilooked at it for more than a few minutes my headache started up again.)
What do we all dream of? A day with nothing to do, no phone, no TV, just a book and a fire?  Mike and I sat in our sleeping bags by thepicture windows and watched the clouds continue to roll in. 
Every hut in the 10th Mountain Division has a logbook that guests sign, not only the current one, but many volumes dating backfor years.  Some guests write extensivelyabout their visit, some write stories, some just sign their names, some drawamazing pictures and simple sketches. Families are represented, as well as groups of friends and the occasionalbachelorette party.  A rainy day with afire is the perfect setting to wander through the log books.  One entry at this hut struck me so profoundlythat I copied it down:  “I got married onthe front porch of this hut in ’99. Sadly, our marriage did not survive but this place remains beautiful,spiritual, special.  I skied up to SlideLake today and cast my ring into the center.” Hmmmm….there were also some good knock-knock jokes.
After lunch we all suited up in rain gear to venture outsidedespite the continued dreariness.  Jeffheaded off to climb Homestake Peak, a popular hike for hut dwellers that wecould see from our front windows.  Mikeand Cathy and I set our sights on the above-mentioned Slide Lake, a mile away,and later Mike wanted to explore around and maybe walk up the ridge of HomestakePeak.  Well, 50 feet out the door I wasgasping and I knew I wouldn’t attempt to go beyond a walk along thelakeshore.   In spite of the weather, thelake was peaceful and inspiring.
A steep mountain range forms a half-bowl where Slide Lakesits
Beautiful clear water and a rocky shoreline
Slide Lake
Cathy and I cheek to cheek – one of my favorite photos
Can you see me?
A marmot at home



Mike and Cathy wanted to go up the ridge and I said I would backtrackto the hut.  Since the trail this far hadbeen in a counterclockwise curve, Mike suggested that I “close the loop” andcontinue walking in a counterclockwise curve downhill through a couple ofclearings and bear left towards the hut. The terrain was just wide open enough to make it seem simple.  As I walked I frequently looked back to checkmy bearings.  I crossed a little creekand admired the fall colors on the low foliage. After about 20 minutes I looked back and noticed wispy fog forming – uh oh.  How much fog was coming in?  Would I be able to see the hut from adistance now? 
I decided to turn back. By now the clouds were obscuring the taller mountains – Homestake Peakhad dis- appeared – and my landmarks were gone. I knew that if I turned around and kept straight uphill I would find SlideLake.  Hurrying, hurrying, a little bitworrying, and finally the water’s edge was in front of me.  Funny thing: I couldn’t see the land on the other side at all and for a crazy momentit seemed like the edge of the ocean.  
 Bynow sleet was seriously coming down.  Ifollowed the lake edge, picked up the trail and walked quite briskly back tothe 10th Mountain Hut.  Aboutan hour had passed since I parted ways with Cathy and Mike.
At the hut I sprung the combination lock on the first try –hurray!  I put away my wet things andtook the opportunity for a much-anticipated sponge bath.  Mike and Cathy appeared at the door about 15minutes later, looking chilled.  Mike wasconcerned about me navigating in the changing conditions, and they followed theroute he had suggested to me, admitting that it was quite a bit more complicatedthan he had thought.  I probably would havegotten lost if I had continued.  Mike washappy with my decision making.  It’s agood thing I realized my shortcomings and turned around!
Jeff made it back about an hour later, having conqueredHomestake Peak, of course.  We stoked thefire back up, had a cup of hot tea, and Cathy and Jeff fell back down thepuzzle rabbit hole.  Then the sun wasshining timidly and hopefully the clouds were moving out, because tomorrow we wouldbe, too.
A glowing sunset




Gourmet dinner: ground beef, peas, pasta with sour cream and chives sauce – a gastronomicdelight.
“Friends around the campfireAnd everybody’s high…Rocky Mountain High”~John Denver

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder