15 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

Selective Censoring

To contact us Click HERE
I made two boo-boos on the phone with my mother the other day. Let me set up the situation first. My mother and I have a habit of "protecting" my father from things. I am not sure when it started, but we end some stories with "don't tell your father" or "don't tell dad." Case in point, a few years ago my grandparents were in a car accident. That same week or maybe a week later, my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I were also in a car accident. That whole episode was a "don't tell your father." To this day, I don't think he knows we were in a wreck.

The new incident involved a similar selective censorship, except "it was a don't tell my friend" and a "oops how did I let that slip." My mother's friend came for a visit with the baby. I didn't think anything of it, but when I told my mom about it she said "How strange!" I was recapping the visit to my mom and said that I had mentioned that my mom had just visited her sister in Florida. My mother immediately said "Oh no!" Apparently I was not supposed to tell this friend anything about that trip as she has a habit of "dropping in" and my aunt is very private....great.

The second boo-boo involved this very blog. I was discussing how moms become "____'s mom" and "____'s wife" and how I JUST blogged about that recently. WOW! How did I do that....I had never told my mom about this blog and boy did she FLIP! "Well I hope you never talk about family on there, you know people can find you, ever heard of hackers" and the like started tumbling from her lips..."Well I use a pseudonym," I said. "So what!" she said.

Needless to say I am petrified of further rebuke once I head home to visit this week....I am sure she would like it EVEN MORE that I blogged about this discussion! Oh well, she'll never find me right? ;) wink.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder