23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Final week

This week was my final week with the firm. It was bittersweet. As with any position I have had, I loved my co-workers and will miss them terribly. I am looking forward to beginning a new position this week and a positive direction in my life.

This life of mine has taken so many twists and turns over the past 15 years (yes 15! I feel ancient). Fifteen years ago I was embarking on my first year of college. I can still remember being frustrated with attending a school I considered my safety school. My father was in administration at my college, so in the end it was truly a financial blessing to attend school with no onerous debt obligation hanging over my head after graduation. However, the surly 17 year old that I was thought "shouldn't I have gone to a more selective college?"Once I got through the core classes and into my major classes, I adored my time there. After freshman year I went to NYU for a summer semester and realized New York was probably not in my future. At least as an 18 year old, I didn't think I could hack it. It was amazing to me at the time how alone you could feel in such a city humming with life.

After graduation, since my little detour senior year had taken me pretty far afield, I struggled to get an initial full time job. I waited tables and worked a sales job to get by for awhile. I got another sales job, quit waiting tables and met hubs. Since then I have had about 5 jobs in the last 8 years. Bleck. While I do console myself with the shared millenial trait of job-hopping, I am not proud of my resume. My hope is that I will stay here for at least the next five years, negating the early job churn.

On my last day at work, my boss and co-workers and I went out to lunch and I was subjected to more political talk about my I shouldn't be a Democrat. I will not miss that. It was the same old same old. "Why do you support people that want to live off the government, why do you support people that are society's losers." I just don't see it that way. I grew up with a lot of liberal people. The republicans I went to school with were the social conservatives, the conformists, the group thinkers, the kids of the rich folk. That never appealed to me. I don't begrudge anyone their wealth. I aspire to wealth just like anyone else. Even if I were to make any sort of money in the future, I don't think it would change my outlook. I have always identified with the outcasts, the weirdos and the idealists.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder