12 Şubat 2013 Salı

Teenage pain

To contact us Click HERE
Today after reading a horrible story on Facebook posted by a friend of a friend's sister, I wrote an anonymous letter to a twelve year old. I wrote from the heart about the heartache and rejection of being an awkward kid.

The soon to be teenager's 13th birthday is in a few days. His mother had snooped on his
Instagram a few days ago and found out his plan to end it all on his 13th birthday. Can you imagine reading something like this. I would be beside myself as a mother. His mother has asked anyone to write her son with letters of encouragement and has set up a PO box for this purpose. If you are interested go here: http://www.lettersfornoah.com/.

I have mentioned before I was bullied as a middle-schooler. While putting the offenses down on paper today, I could feel my face getting hot and my body tensing almost 20 years later. I can vividly recall the overwhelming emotions and what it feels like in that awful transitional period of life.

I reiterated the pain of having people you thought were your friends try to feed you dog biscuits at the lunch table. Or making the mistake of telling the girls that you liked someone and then having them create "action figures" and pass them around with horrible pictures of you.

Or the cake topper. Imagine this - You are sitting in seventh grade English. Your assignment, which you have dutifully completed, is to write a fictional diary entry and read it to the class. When a girl you now know is a frenemy gets up and begins to read, you start to sink into your chair as you realize, you're not imagining it, she's talking about you. Her entry goes something like this: "When I look in the mirror, I am ugly, with oily skin, freckles and thin hair. I am so ugly no boy will touch me with a ten foot pole." Your face is beet red but you are trying very hard not to cry and just make it to the end of class.

I wrote to him from my heart and told him life does indeed get better, it gets amazingly better, don't miss out. When you get to high school, the world opens up and then college opens the world even further still. Life is beautiful, I made it and you can too.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder