12 Şubat 2013 Salı

Heavens to Betsy, Bikini Kill, 20 years later and other ways I feel old

To contact us Click HERE
Every year it happens that I feel older and out of touch. That's nothing new, happens to the best of us. The other day I heard an interview with Kathleen Hanna on NPR and just felt old again! Some scholarly researcher out there was reminiscing about the Riot Girl days in music. I can remember that time period like it was yesterday and it was 20 years ago this year. In 1993, the zine was a thing - a blog was many years down the road but a zine was THE thing in self publishing. If you created a zine you were literally doing it all yourself, Rolling Stone be damned!

I don't really want to do more tedious blog posts about feeling old. This year I hope to dedicate things to looking ahead - a la my need to do before forty list. I started this blog at twenty nine as a last gasp attempt at writing before I turned thirty. My desperate attempts to use what skills I had before they shriveled up and died. Why is it that your twenties seem to be the time when you must accomplish something, anything before the haze of middle age overtakes you? Where does that push come from? Society, me or too much access to information? I am not sure. We live much longer these days. My hope is there is still plenty of time to accomplish something, whatever that may be.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder